Ready.... Set.... Study!
Prepare for the Ballot Question Study
The Committee Needs You!
The application deadline for the Ballot Question Study Committee has been extended to July 27. To apply, Click Here
Participating in a state League study committee is a great way to research an issue with a small group of League members. The committee's efforts will eventually lead to local League consensus meetings and, depending on the outcome of the consensus, possible new position and action steps.
At the LWVMA 2017 Convention, our membership approved a new state study of the ballot question process in Massachusetts, which will be conducted over the next two years. We are currently putting together a new study committee to develop study materials and questions. Local League consensus meetings will likely be in the fall of 2018 through early 2019, leading to a position presented to Convention in 2019.
What will the committee study?
How do I join the committee?
- The stated goals of ballot questions as outlined in the MA Constitution
- Money spent on ballot questions and spending trends
- Signature requirements to start the process and to get a question on the ballot
- The length, subject matter, and complexity of ballot questions
- Regulations around accepting and rejecting signatures
- Procedures in other states
- Procedures for changing current laws and procedures
- Other areas identified during the study process
What will the committee do?
- Complete the application by July 27
- Interviews with applicants will be conducted in August
- The study committee will begin its work in early fall
- The committee will do most of its work during the 2017-2018 academic year
- Hold regular teleconferences and possibly some in-person meetings
- Research the processes involved in Massachusetts ballot questions; independent and group research
- Produce background materials:
- Background materials for local Leagues and Members-at-Large
- Consensus questions and study guide
- Presentation materials for consensus meetings
- Proposed steps to take action on a new position (if adopted)
To complete the application, download the application form
and edit the file in Word. Return the completed application to Brynne Gorman firstname.lastname@example.org
by July 27.
Questions? Contact email@example.com